Thursday, November 29, 2012

Short Leashes and a Reminder Why We're Here

I was cautiously optimistic when I learned I may be able to go home as early as this Friday, depending on when my WBCs and platelets both reach "normal' levels.  As of this morning my platelets had achieved that threshold.  I may breach the same for WBCs tomorrow since my counts seems to be doubling every day.

Of course I wanted to be excited but I know we've barely begun to battle this disease.  And then today I learned my parole will only be for a week.  Followed by another 5 day chemo stint here at Banner starting my consolidation phase.  There had been a question as to whether that would be something MD Anderson would do or whether or not the clinic I'm transferred to for the stem cell transplant would.  Regardless, now we know.

The frustrating part for me is for a small window of time I would be feeling well and could enjoy spending a couple of hours after Jamie got out of school with both kids a couple of times a week.  Now I realize that, timing wise, I am likely to be just as sick for the Christmas Holiday even if I'm at home as I was for Thanksgiving and that's a huge bummer. But since the disease isn't planning to take any time off, I guess it would be silly of me to think I could.

I'm still decorating, though, dammit!

1 comment: