Monday, October 16, 2023

Long time no talk...

It took a while to be able to log back into this blog, though the desire to do so has existed for some time.  There just does not seem to be quite enough of that - TIME - to do everything I'd like to do.  Anyway...

I AM 10 YEARS POST TRANSPLANT...AND STILL CANCER FREE!

Thank you, God!

About this time, 11 years ago, I'd just gotten laid off from my job.  Wasn't feeling well...at all.  Two weeks later, I finally visited the doctor only to be hospitalized that night.  My hemoglobin was 4.6.  Not good.

After induction and several rounds of chemo, I was blessed to be matched to a PERFECTLY matched donor.  Six months after diagnosis, I received my stem cell transplant.  

I was so blessed!

Ten plus years later, I am here...still a part of my kids lives, which was the drive behind my fight.  After I reached that 10-year pinnacle, my daughter cut her very long hair and donated it to an organization that makes real hair wigs for kids and women who are also battling cancer and have lost their hair.  She'd spent years growing her hair out with that intent in mind.  Such a thoughtful thing to do...paying it forward to others in need.  She remembers me being sick, she was old enough at the time.  My son was so young, he really has no memories of the time.  My daughter's curse...my son's blessing.


 







I am so glad I created this blog when I did.  I read through some of my old posts, and do not have any actual recollection of a lot of what I recorded.  If you are reading this blog, and are the one fighting for your life, or supporting someone you love who is, and reading my journey helps or lends you any comfort that this battle can be won...I am so glad.  

Don't give up, my friends, no matter what you are going through.  

I will forever be grateful to my family and friends for being here/there for me as I went through this whole process.  Without God, my kids, my donor and YOU, I do not think I would be here today.  

God bless you all!  

D

No comments:

Post a Comment