Saturday, November 8, 2014

"Why Her?"

Less than two tears ago I ran into a former Apollo colleague when I was still undergoing treatment at Mayo (it could have been MD Anderson as my memories from that time are fuzzy); his wife was undergoing treatment for cancer too. I had the privilege to meet the bright light who was his wife, Jennifer. You would have had to meet her in person, to be in the same room with her, to understand what I mean. Today, I along with tens of her family and friends got to say goodbye. She lost her battle with her disease on November 1st. 

In communicating with fellow leukemia patients/survivors, the question "have you ever asked yourself 'why me?'" comes up frequently. I honestly do not ever recall asking myself this question. Perhaps those that walked some of the journey with me - Jamie, Max, Kav, Dad, Mom, Chris, Diane, Darlene, Angelica, T, Nikol, Laura, Kathleen, Art, Tonya, Maja, Jennifer, Troy, Irene, Julius - would recall otherwise. I just knew I had to fight to stay with my kids. Period. And I am so grateful I get to. But why Jennifer?  She had young children, too. She so loved Christ and lived a Christian life. And she had such a terrible and painful road. Twice!  I struggle to wrap my head around it. Is it OK to think it unfair that Jennifer's kids have to live the rest of their lives without their mother while clinging with white knuckled fists onto the fact that my kids get to?

Why her?

No comments:

Post a Comment